HONDA NC700X

733 replies [Last post]
kharli
kharli's picture
Re: HONDA NC700X

yup ,barkbuster storm here too . No problem fitting and easy to adjust if you find you have them set a bit high or low. Mine were not specific to the nc700 as bike just out when I got them . In bad wet weather as long as your not stopped to long they keep gloves remarkably dry to .

Grump
Grump's picture

My curiosity got the better of me the other day, and while at the Honda shop I took out a NC 750X DCT for a test on the spur of the moment. My primary reason was to try out the DCT system.

I was a little anxious about not having a gear lever or a clutch lever after 45 years of foot change (apart from my scooters which are very different), but my anxiety was unfounded.

This system is very good indeed. I was surprised at how quickly I was adapting. Obviously some further time would be required to become totally comfortable with the system, but I believe that would not take me too long. At the end of the day I was impressed enough to consider DCT when purchasing my next Honda.

kharli
kharli's picture

That's interesting Grump ,I think when my NC 700 finally dies I am going to attempt an electric conversion..i think the frame is strong enough to do anything with it .
I'm on 47000 miles now with only a broken clutch cable which snapped 400yards from destination after a 400 mile ride ! And it was a flat 400 yard push to get there !! result !(I have no breakdown cover) 15 quid for a new one and you don't even have to take the clutch handle to bits to refit . Mine snapped just inside the bottom end and even though I check, there was no sign except for a vague awareness my clutch bite point was slightly different before failure.
In other news I can confirm you can get through 500mm+ of water with the flooding up here in SW Scotland but it knocks your feet off the pegs.
Still got a headache from the wheel direction posts uuurgh.

Grump
Grump's picture

Electric conversion. Hmmm. That will be interesting. You will need lots of space for all those batteries, especially for the long distances you travel. Sidecar perhaps ?

fishmanboy
fishmanboy's picture

Just thought I'd let you all know that I recently hit the 60,000m mark on my NC700x. Outside of routine servicing and consumables the only things I have had to replace were a clutch cable at 37k miles (started to fray so didn't actually let me down but replaced it under caution) and a new rear wheel bearing which went at 48k miles

I ride it through the worst of winter and it still looks in really good condition to be honest. I'm so happy with it for my unique needs that my next bike will definitely be another Honda and maybe another NC.

Hope that info helps anyone thinking of buying one or just curious to see how the NC handles the miles :)

Grump
Grump's picture

Thanks for the update. Good to hear of big mileages. I plan to keep mine long term also. So far I only have 30,000 kms or thereabouts on mine and nothing nasty to report other than a failed wheel bearing at relatively low mileage.

kharli
kharli's picture

Nice one fishmanboy ,I`m on 47000 miles ,new clutch cable and battery at 45000 ish . Goes as well or better than new too ,went through my deepest ever flood the other day ,bow wave over the screen ,up my arms and blinding me ,bike didn't miss a beat but I did think I shouldn't have ignored the road closed sign .......

kharli
kharli's picture

well that's year 4 done and another mot pass .
Overall cost for 10000 miles a year inc fuel ins tax tyres chains brakes batteries etc . inc about 30 quid a week.
Bike worth about 2k so about another 20 quid a week depreciation over 4 years and 47000 miles.
So say 50 quid a week for four years and 47000miles riding from new inc.

unconventional rebel
unconventional rebel's picture

Pretty accurate figures for that kind of millage! Thanks for sharing.

Grump
Grump's picture

Grump wrote:
Thanks for the update. Good to hear of big mileages. I plan to keep mine long term also. So far I only have 30,000 kms or thereabouts on mine and nothing nasty to report other than a failed wheel bearing at relatively low mileage.

Famous last words. I have gone against plan. Indeed I have made some significant changes to my motorcycling in general. I have sold my KTM690 Trail bike. I tried to make a backroads bike of my NC but despite the best of suspension products this did not work. I made it handle better but did not improve comfort on rough roads. The Wilbers shock worked ok but the Andreani cartridges were an expensive disaster. So, I recently parted with my beloved NC for an Africa Twin. After 2000kms I do not regret that. I am now no longer an NC owner so I will sign out here. I do not discount owning an NC again. Bye for now.

Griff

kharli
kharli's picture

Just a quicky year 5 55000 mile update
New rear brake disc ,Inner tube bodge for the cush drive which seems to work as good as new ,new chain sprockets,(my last front sprocket was terrible looking ,I will check my next one before the chain wears out ..also a lot of gunge gets deposited around the sprocket that probably should be cleaned out more regularly)
Bike seems to have bottomed out on depreciation .
Still runs as good as new except a slightly spongy front brake after a winter `free the pistons` overhaul .
I would say I am getting pitting on my brake cylinders ,rust on my swingarm and a few little spots on the frame ,but nothing a wee dab of hammerite didn't sort .
Absolutely happy with her and runs same or better than new and cant wait for some decent weather to hit them highlands again ,This is Scotland so it could be a few years !
Using my little cbf 125 a lot more as a local runabout as its crazy cheep and dangerous on slimy roads and keeps me smiling as I somehow get out of being sideways trying to stop before impacting an escaped cow or similar.
Hope all well in the world of Ashonbike bikers.

Grump
Grump's picture

The swingarm on mine just in front of the rear wheel was stripped of paint early in the bikes life. Hammerite was applied then and it was still in place when I parted with it.

Front sprockets will always wear quicker no matter what the bike. It is difficult to know what to do about this as replacing the sprocket on a worn chain can cause further problems.

I see quite a few NC's showing big mileage nowadays. I wonder if my Africa Twin will hold up as well. So far so good though and I haven't discounted owning another NC in the future, but probably with DCT next time around.

I have also acquired a CRF250L recently and find it a really nice trail bike. Sadly they haven't sold well here as folks seem to be focused on a lack of power. However if ridden well it can fairly clip along on the road despite the "lack of power" perception. I love getting the best out of a small motor without actually abusing it.

Sitting out the latest winter Storm today although it is not as severe as the one a few days ago.

kharli
kharli's picture

Well I would love an African twin and a crf 250l for where I live ,I will just have to console myself with being happy you have them and not sink into abject jealousy .
Forecast yesterday was 6deg c less than 5% chance of showers . What I got was 3 inches of snow 2 deg c , This time of year is the chanciest for me as from coast to hill you can get all four seasons usually in an order you don't want.
I am just wondering my chances of getting to the shops now ....
Good to hear from you Grump.
I am bigging myself up for changing the fork oil ,I will practice on the cbf 125 first . Its probably not that difficult but I am always nervous the first time I do anything I haven't done before .