HONDA NC700X

733 replies [Last post]
roundincircles
roundincircles's picture
Re: HONDA NC700X

Honda have cash flow constraints which may be at the core of a delayed roll out to the USA.

I don't know what the investment requirement is in spares, training and bike stock for a new model bike but it can be £30 million plus for a car. The car division is beginning to show signs of coming out of it's slumber so maybe the bike division will follow but I would not bet on it.

I still think Honda's biggest constraint is their committee approach and, maybe, their focus on engine development rather than 'bike' development.

Guess it will be down to UK riders to keep the sales buoyant then !

pittsy
pittsy's picture

An MCN reader has likened the nc700 to a 60's Triumph T110 or BSA A 10.

An interesting, and probably fair comparison. The A10 evolved from a utilitarian machine and brought us to the beginnings of the present era. Is the Honda nc700 the harbinger of a return to a utilitarian era?

If you've never experienced the relentless, screaming power of a sportsbike at 16000 rpm I suggest you get one bought pronto. Before they're consigned to the history books, legislated out of existence. Or even just the victim of (misguided) fashion.

Overkill thought?

Captain Scarlet
Captain Scarlet's picture

That's a good point Shuggs. Plus the tsunami wouldn't have helped, but that affected other manufacturers too I guess. One key factor is the value of the Yen versus the Dollar now, but again it's not like the other three large Japanese manufacturers aren't doing whatever they can to bring in all their new models. I believe the land of the litigation claims are vastly blown out of proportion, nobody wins multi million dollar claims because McDonald's coffee was too hot for them it's all a bit of an urban myth IMPO. I was watching the local news on t.v. this morning, a woman who was texting in her car drove over and killed three young children. The parents settlement equated to £75k per child; pretty similar to the UK (if not less) in that respect.

More good points made RIC. I went to the Swindon Honda plant for a chat with their kaizen quality experts just before they went down to a three day week. But global sales of Honda cars do seem to be picking up and new versions of the CRV (biggest selling SUV in UK) will help too. When individuals are allowed to run with design we get end results like the Daytona 675, Diavel and iPad for instance. The 'camel is a horse designed by a committee' approach that Honda adopts plain doesn't work IMHO. If I were in charge of HRC I'd be demanding a single seat RC30 for the new millennium and a lightweight inline six 4-stroke 250 cc RC174 replica for road use; whatever it costs! I'd bring back some of the great spray jobs with a modern twist too. What about the urban tiger or r/w/b africa twin or RC30 hues for instance? but for now, I'd settle for what the rest of the world are getting!

pittsy
pittsy's picture

CS: "If I were in charge of HRC I'd be demanding a single seat RC30 for the new millennium and a lightweight inline six 4-stroke 250 cc RC174 replica for road use; whatever it costs"

Captain for president I say!

I could get to like YHO. Never be able to afford it though.

MP1300GT

CS - Funny how I also had an MTS 1200 on order but cancelled after the Dealer started delaying delivery dates. I couldn't be without a bike until the Summer, and therefore ended up with K13GT - different but still OK.

While I had placed a deposit for the Touring model, perhaps the standard w/ABS would be a better/cheaper option?

Not sure about overseas, but here in USA, I find many (but not all) Ducati models rather expensive - Streetfighter, Monster, Hypermotard come to mind. IMO, their poor sales may reflect my feelings.

Come to think about it, BMW isn't cheap! Triumph is slowly picking-up market share for a reason - great bikes for reasonable prices.

Sorry for highjacking the NC700X thread. By the way, apart for its rather hefty weight, I think it will be a winner. Italy's market will provide good insight. I'll provide data when available. Don't forget, Honda's market share there is very good, especially for scooters.

Cheers.

kevash
kevash's picture

I've ridden it and I enjoyed it because it feels good. It's not as much fun as a KTM or Street Triple or anything like that, but it's pitching at a completely different audience anyway. Riders of fun bikes will be disappointed, I'm sure, but this is aimed at people looking for transport with low costs and the ability to beat traffic jams etc, and in that context it's a fistful of Ecstacy compared with going by bus or even a car in a clogged up city. But it does swing through bends well enough to be enjoyable - not as much fun as a Streetfighter 848 of course, but it's only a matter of degree.

I've mentioned before one reason for the extra weight is the use of steel over plastic for the tank and Honda's philosophy of making its bikes tougher with stricter safety criteria, but another is that the NC is based on a platform that also doubles up as a scooter, and these tend to be heavy because the chassis shape is not ideal for strength with low weight. There's no question the NC would be better for being 30kg lighter, in terms of economy as well as everything else, but then it would need its own chassis, aluminium instead of steel for many components and so on, and it would become a lot more expensive. As it is, less than £6,000 for an all-new, Japan-built bike of this capacity is remarkably low - compare that with Yamahas, most of which are also built in Japan.

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Hi Kev

In the Christmas issue of MCN you mentioned that the NC700 was the first motorbike to be based on a car design.

Mmm.

What about the BMW air head /5 /6 /7 series? When the /5 series was introduced it used some fairly major components from a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder BMW car engine of the period. Conn rods, crankshaft bearings, cam chain + tensioner.

I'm hoping that by opening a can of worms I might learn something. :)

kevash
kevash's picture

I remember writing something on those lines although I'm pretty sure I did say it was the first modern motorcycle engine to be based on car technology, as there wasn't a lot of difference between car and bike engines 40 years ago and more. The word 'modern' might have dropped out when the subs were fitting the text to the space they had, that sort of thing happens.

Sorry, that sounds like a cop out... But it's true, honest!

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Ha ha ha

Ever thought of a career as a lawyer?

You seem to be having a bit of difficulty remembering things in the pre Christmas period. Hee Hee.

Good on yer.

Cheers.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

vroum_ninou wrote:

There already is a market for utilitarian 2-wheeled transport: it's called scooters! Stick to that!

Honda, we will make you love cars!

I really can not agree as not having a car licence I depend on my bikes for my everyday transport. As you can probably guess from my user name I would NEVER use a scooter.I know of many of my geration of motorcyclist who feel the same

As to Honda making me love cars you couldn't be more wrong as NOTHING would make me love cars. I have never had never wanted one and it's much as I can do to tolerate them.The exception being that I like watching them race

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

Kev having used Deauvilles (both 650 & 700 versions) for several years for my 75 mile a day round trip to work I fancy a change. I was wondering if that as someone who has ridden the NC700X you thought that it might be suitable for my use.I realise that the chain drive would be a minus point but the savings on fuel should buy a few chains and plenty of lube. I am also looking at the Integra although the scooterish looks put me off a bit
As to fun well have the Crossrunner for that

kevash
kevash's picture

You don't get the weather protection on an NC700 that you do on the Deauville, nor the luggage of course, but you can certainly add panniers or box, and the Deauville's £8,600 with ABS, so there's plenty of room financially for those compared with the NC's sub- £6,000 price. If you're average or below height, the NC700S might be a better bet as it's a bit lower than the 700X. As long as you're okay with the reduced weather protection there's no reason at all why this shouldn't suit, especially as the running costs should be very low.

I wouldn't worry too much about the chain, modern ones need very little attention and they're not too expensive or difficult to replace, and you get a better ride quality from the suspension too.

I think with your username you should keep very quiet about your dark stirrings of desire for the Integra though...

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Oh i dunno. Even Val Doonican rocked. But gently.

In Electra Glide in Blue "zipper" refers to his hog as a "motor scooter"

Brilliant movie. Stunning cinematography. And very funny I thought. In an ironic way. Except the ending. Which was sad. In an ironic way.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

kevash wrote:
You don't get the weather protection on an NC700 that you do on the Deauville, nor the luggage of course, but you can certainly add panniers or box, and the Deauville's £8,600 with ABS, so there's plenty of room financially for those compared with the NC's sub- £6,000 price. If you're average or below height, the NC700S might be a better bet as it's a bit lower than the 700X. As long as you're okay with the reduced weather protection there's no reason at all why this shouldn't suit, especially as the running costs should be very low.

I wouldn't worry too much about the chain, modern ones need very little attention and they're not too expensive or difficult to replace, and you get a better ride quality from the suspension too.

I think with your username you should keep very quiet about your dark stirrings of desire for the Integra though...

I do have short legs but I do manage the Crossrunner OK. How does the seat hieght of the NC700X compare to this?
Maybe if Honda or an after market company bring out a screen for the S it might be a good alternative.
Finally do you think that these bikes would be OK cruising at motorway speeds ie circa 85MPH?
Sorry about the typo I of course meant 70MPH officer

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

My deauville is booked in for it's 36ooo mile service on the 25th. My dealer expects to have his NC700X demonstrator in by then and promised me an extended test ride. I will report back here once I have experianced it

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

I have just found a nice video of the NC700X at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpNOmNkcT1I&feature=player_embedded
There are also links to other videos of the bike on that site

shuggiemac
shuggiemac's picture

That is a good video and I really can't see a good reason yet why not to welcome this machine in a positive way. I still find it strange why it attracted a certain amount of criticism before it was even tried by anyone.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

shuggiemac wrote:
That is a good video and I really can't see a good reason yet why not to welcome this machine in a positive way. I still find it strange why it attracted a certain amount of criticism before it was even tried by anyone.

The same thing happened with the VFR1200DCt and the Crossrunner.
Maybe we as bikers are too conservative and suspicious of anything a bit different. Anyway I'm really looking forward to the 25th and my test ride

kevash
kevash's picture

Rocker66 wrote:

I do have short legs but I do manage the Crossrunner OK. How does the seat hieght of the NC700X compare to this?
Finally do you think that these bikes would be OK cruising at motorway speeds ie circa 85MPH?
Sorry about the typo I of course meant 70MPH officer

It's a fair bit taller than the Crossrunner, I'd definitely swing a leg over one before committing yourself, which I'm sure you'd do anyway. It's not adventure bike tall but I can imagine some shorter riders finding it a struggle at times.

Yup, cruising at those kinds of insane speeds that I'd never dream of doing myself would be just fine, it'll hold that into headwinds and up inclines without too much problem.

kevash
kevash's picture

Rocker66 wrote:
The same thing happened with the VFR1200DCt and the Crossrunner.
Maybe we as bikers are too conservative and suspicious of anything a bit different. Anyway I'm really looking forward to the 25th and my test ride

I think the DCT VFR solved a problem few of us even realised we had, where the economy of the NC700 pitches at an issue we definitely do have, of relatively high fuel consumption.

phobe
phobe's picture

shuggiemac wrote:

Because it's cool to hate Honda.

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Video is good.

Bike sounds nice and rorty (a word which only motorcyclists understand). Seems to rev easily, which surprised me, and seems to run out of revs easily. He must have been in lower gears presumably.

Biggest concern to me would be that, judging only from the video, the bike looks well under damped. Is it adjustable?

shuggiemac
shuggiemac's picture

phobe wrote:

Because it's cool to hate Honda.

is it ??? Looks like I missed something, somewhere down the line.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

pittsy wrote:
Video is good.

Bike sounds nice and rorty (a word which only motorcyclists understand). Seems to rev easily, which surprised me, and seems to run out of revs easily. He must have been in lower gears presumably.

Biggest concern to me would be that, judging only from the video, the bike looks well under damped. Is it adjustable?

Being 1/2 a Honda Jazz car engine it is designed for low revs. It is recomended to change at 3.5K RPM and red lines at 6K RPM

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Rocker 66: "Being 1/2 a Honda Jazz car engine it is designed for low revs."

Mmm. That's why I'm surprised it seems to rev pretty eagerly. Mind you I don't know how the rider is treating the throttle. With impunity probably!

Rocker66: "It is recomended to change at 3.5K RPM"

Hee Hee. I don't think our pilot read that line in the manual.

It was showing about 5800 rpm and 190 kph (114mph). Is that top gear? Seemed to get there pretty smartly.

Still looks very under damped even on the second viewing. Bit o pogo ing going on from time to time. Thought that sort of thing died along with FVQ dampers! The bike has a quality look about it.

Rocker66, I look forward to hearing your comments after a test ride. Hope you enjoy it and the weather is obliging.

pan rider

I had a test drive on the nc700x on the weekend.The bike is well made it has a good finish and a quality feel.I liked the storage area, it will save me fitting a top box or carying a rucksack.The sitting position is good giving plenty of control and confidence.I found that riding the bike at revs between 3000 ad 5500 was easy and effortless with no need to over rev and hit the limiter.The engine is designed to use its torque curve.Small roads are great fun and it feels a little like a drz400 to ride but smoother.On dual carrigeways it cruises at 75-80mph and there is wind blast,in my opinion this will keep the speed down and help that mpg.
The linked brakes work well giving plenty of control with loads of power in reserve.
As you ride the bike you start to undrstand the objective the designers were trying to meet and it does this very well,if you expect sizzling acceleration and mind bogling power you have missed the point.
The low rpm will limit aggresive riding which will save fuel.
I found that short shifting works well,and the gearing is perfect.
It rides like a twin and the lack of revs or screaming engine makes you think that you arent moving that quick until you look at the tacho.(bit like my mates sp1) I own a pan european,hayabusa and fireblade and im used to power.
This bike enables you to ride a motorcycle with out having to worry about speeding or watching for plod on every straight.
I travel 46 miles a day on my bike and changing to the honda nc700x will save me about £4-500 a year.
I am fortunate to have other motorcycles and this bike will compliment nicely,I would not have this bike as my only bike, but anyone thinking of upgrading their gsxr1000 to gain a few bhp would be well advised to add this bike to their garage and own what I see as a good work horse and real world motorcycle and enable them to ride all year.
I have read comments about weight,it did not feel heavy, I personaly would prefer a well made,strong and durable motorcycle.We had problems with weight saving and strength with sports bikes in the past,poor wheels,subframes and flimsy fairngs.
Fuel is only going to get more expensive and this is a very clever move by honda they have caught the competition sleeping.
I have placed my deposit on a red one.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

Thanks pan rider that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. As I have decided not to retire on my 65th birthday next month the NC700X would be my daily transport so any saving in fuel would be appreciated. Like you this would not be my only bike although my stable is not as impressive as yours. my only concern is the seat height but I will find out about that next week.
Once you have the bike I would be very interested in yours vies on what it is like to live with.

pan rider

no problem, im experiencing difficulties with insurance as nobody including honda have a group rating for this model as yet.I am in contact with the dealer who have been in contact with honda regarding this issue.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

I had the same problem when I bought my VFR1200DCT. I found that Carol Nash were the first to list it. Please let me know where you finally manage to get it insured

pan rider

how long did it take you to get insurance for the vfr1200?, I think its poor that the bike is released without making sure that everything is in place for buyers to get on and ride,my current insurer CIA said it may not be listed until march/april,Im mid term with my dualbike policy and I was hoping to ring up and add it on, I dont want to start a new policy.