HONDA NC700X

733 replies [Last post]
gunshot72
gunshot72's picture
Re: HONDA NC700X

The only parts that look slightly low value are the rear brake lever, gear shift lever, rear sprocket, lower yoke, and the handlebar clamp nuts. All of which could be replaced by higher quality ones if it's important to you. Chain is also not that heavy gauge but then doesn't need to be with only 50HP on tap. The rest of the bike is typical Japan Honda. Engine will no doubt last a million years and the fairings are very well made and painted as always with Honda.

edgey999
edgey999's picture

Hi

Background: I am a soon to be 50 year old bloke who passed his test on an RD250E and went and purchased a RD350LC not long after. I have owned in the past 5 years a ZX10R, Fireblade, Gixxer 1000, 1098S, R1200GS, Transalp, Pan European 1300, Dullville 700 etc. I had 9 pts on my licence at one point due in part my childish behaviour on sports bikes and the ever present Welsh Police hence the move away from big sports machines to more sensible (dull) bikes. I also now have to commute to work and use a bike for work due in part to parking problems for cars.

I recently purchased a 2011 ER6F primarily on the strength of reviews from MCN and owners forums because of its apparent economy and fun factor. I can honestly say it is the worst bike I have ever owned in 30 years of riding. Ridiculously hard suspension, strange handling, average fuel consumption, awful dash, hatefull gearbox and asthmatic engine. I went back to the dealer I had it from with a view to getting a second hand Deauville 700 (dull but great commuter and work horse). Dealer said he has a great bike that would suit my needs, the NC700XA. Had a look, looked good. Can i take it out, yes sir no problem.

Testride: I took it out for a test that included a short motorway hop, heavy traffic and an A road blast. It was bloody cold but dry. First impressions were, what a wierd engine. Felt like driving my wifes diesal car. Loads of tourque and then runs out of revs. It did however feel quick for such a heavy and low powered bike, certainly quicker than a Dullville. It has a great riding position sort of like a trail bike but with road bike handling. Took it up to 90 on the motorway without problem, and would never go much faster than that now due to the rozzers. Filtering was excellent, really high up, commanding riding position. Seat is a little slippery but no real problem. Loads of punch when looking for little gaps in traffic. A road was fine, suspension OK over pot holes and poor surfaces. A little bouncy but again not a deal breaker. Good overtaking punch at normal roadspeeds. Instruments are clear, but could do with a gear indicator. Gearbox is a little clunky but not horrible (like the ER6). Handles well on A road at normal (70ish) speeds. Get back to dealers with big smile on my face.

Keep the ER6, keep the Dullville I am having one of these. Ordered there and then. Pick it up Monday (Only slight disapointment is no white available so had Red) with heated grips and Touring Scottoiler.

NOTE: Insurance has beed a nightmare. Only 2 companys will quote at moment due to lack of ABI rating (Aviva and Honda). Probably be sorted in next month or so.
Insurance was £187 Comp, PNCB, Class 1 business use, £200 xs. Dullville would have been £100 for same cover.

In short this is a good bike IF you are looking for an economical, comfortable, torquey, very well built, slightly unusual looking, cheap to buy (but not insure lol) and fun to ride. I can honestly say this is the first time in a long time I have been genuinely excited about riding a bike for a long time.

In short, good bike. Dont knock it till you try it, like so many things in life lol

edgey999
edgey999's picture

PS

Hope it doesnt snow this weekend, NC700XA is good but it aint no snowplough lol

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

Having decided to trade my deauville700 for a NC700x I emailed Honda UK for advice about insurance. They told me to contact Carol Nash. I spoke with a Carol Nash rep at the bike show in London today with a view to adding the NC to my Crossrunner policy which he told me woulld be no problem

kharli
kharli's picture

quick update..fits full length500mm long soft panniers ok I was a bit worried about the filler cap under rear seat ..anyway did a biggish supermarket shop which stuffed my x60 panniers at petrol station undid 1 bungee and 1 fat velcro strap and seat opened fine ,the bags flopped out a bit but were easily put back tight after filling up ..the rear velcro strap being just behind the seat ..the under seat strap fits ok tho might put tape or a split tube over the metalwork where strap is to prevent chafin...on ride never noticed the panniers were there up to er 70 plus or minus 20....plenty fixings to improvise solid fitting and indicators just clear
Loobman quitish easy to fit to got mine near rear pillion footrest...dont think it will get kicked off,tho i think i got one more fiddle with the feeder (doh read the instructions !!)
Nice easy battery access and no trouble threading a power takoff through a gap around the frame and up to the bars...i notice drain holes in bottom of not the tank under the manual flap which may be usefull for a in luggage thingy/light?
cheep sat nav holder looks like it might blow off at plus or minus 20 speeds but ill see
i found it a bit noisy wind blast wise till i sat up a bit what a difference !
Its to heavy for me to move it on soft turf but thats not really unexpected on any bike.
my bike has a slight vibration at 3k plus or minus 100 so i can always tell if im going through that rev range without looking..kinda handy
The lo friction engine ..for me also acts as a kinda cheep slipper clutch :) well i aint locked up yet jumping down 3 or so gears into a greasy looking corner .
350 miles so far an liking it more an more

kharli
kharli's picture

and so far 18.13 miles a litre mostly hilly stopstarty riding havnt done any long runs yet

edgey999
edgey999's picture

**************NOTICE************

You cannot fit a Scottoiler to an NC700X due to the nature of the car derived engine.

There is no vacuum take off point.

Captain Scarlet
Captain Scarlet's picture

The Loobman looks a good cost-effective system - does it work well in practice?

kharli
kharli's picture

i think it will ! i got one of the feeders not quite touching the sprocket but the otherside of the chain looks well oiled..will report when it sorted and i do a good run ..it woulda been sorted first time if i had me reading glasses and actualy read the instructions but anyway it only requires more ties if you muck it up a bit ,, i think it will be something you get used to using properly to avoid the odd oil drip , simple gravity fed device that comes with instructions .....

edgey999
edgey999's picture

Hi

I have used the Loobman before and it does work OK. Its a bit fiddly to fit but does what it says on the tin.

I am looking at one of these http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/index.php/store/motorcycleoilers/twinfee...

Looks good, easy to fit and won the Ride Best Chain Oiler Award.

Hell for £20 its got to be worth a go

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

edgey999 wrote:
Hi

I have used the Loobman before and it does work OK. Its a bit fiddly to fit but does what it says on the tin.

I am looking at one of these http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/index.php/store/motorcycleoilers/twinfee...

As I shall be using my NC as a commuter I would be very interested to hear how you get on with this should you decide to fit it

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

With regards to insurance I checked out the Bikesure web sitetoday and the NC700X is included in their drop down menu. It would appear that insurance companies are becoming aware of this bikes existance

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Been following the NC700 thread with interest.

Re scottoilers.

I think the scottoilier is ultimately a gravity device. What the engine vacuum seems to do is lift a valve, momentarily allowing gravity to do its work.

I think it is akin to filling a straw with water (milk, if you're of a certain age),and placing your thumb over the top. With thumb in place the liquid is "suspended" in the straw. With thumb lifted the liquid runs out.

I believe the vacuum does the job of the thumb, lifting a valve.

My point is that, with a modicum of cunning, is there another way of lifting the valve?

How would the scottoiler work on, say, an old beeza A10? Single carb, no vac take off.

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Quick look on scottoiler site.

Their e system doesn't need a vacuum signal. Just an electrical hook up to the bike.

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/how-it-works/esystem.html

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Doesn't even seem to need an electrical connection.

Just batteries!

IrlMike
IrlMike's picture

Don't like the look of that 'tutorochainoiler'. Unless I've misunderstood, the manual on/off means a pool of oil by the back wheel is a certainty sometime ?

The Scottoiler e-system is the pricey electronic one, the cheaper v-system uses the engine vacuum for on/off.

Here's my own experience of Loobman, v-system & pdoiler :

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/167715-tale-of-3-chai...

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Does the NC have an electrical socket?

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

pittsy wrote:
Quick look on scottoiler site.

Their e system doesn't need a vacuum signal. Just an electrical hook up to the bike.

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/how-it-works/esystem.html

£210 buys a lot of chain lube :)

pittsy
pittsy's picture

You'd get a shaft drive for that!

Didn't look at the price. A trick I learned from er indoors. :-D

Talking of lub. Admittedly it's eons ago since I had to use a bike right through winter. O ring chains weren't commonplace. Wouldn't a modern spray lub do the job?

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

The loss of shaft drive was one of the cons when I was trying whether to change the deauville for the NC but the pros were in the majority. I'm going to buy myself a chain cleaning kit though

kharli
kharli's picture

i cant find any real comparitive evidence whats best for chains..all i know here in sw scotland they get a constant splattering and a no o ring chain needs constant adjusting even with constant lubing..ive sorted the lubeman out a quick press of the charge button was enough to make the chain look wet without drips after 35 ish miles if i find my phone connector i will post couple pics...actualy the nc chain stays very clean compared to the rest of the bike but i cant quite work out why.

pittsy
pittsy's picture

The NC chain will be O ring type, surely?

edgey999
edgey999's picture

Rocker66 wrote:
edgey999 wrote:
Hi

As I shall be using my NC as a commuter I would be very interested to hear how you get on with this should you decide to fit it

Hi

I have purchasd the Tutoro manual, double sided delivery system with the mounting bracket. Came to £30 in total.

I have used a Loobman on numerous occasions in the past and as I said it was very good. I hated the fitting though as it is fiddly and looks a mess with bits of wire all over the swinging arm. This seems to be a better fitting/delivery system.

I agree that there is a risk of leaving the tap on but hey whats a small pool of oil on the gagrage floor.

Like you I use it for communting and work so I will be looking to see how it works.

BTW I do know the electric Scottoiler will work on the NC700X but I already have a near new Touring system that I wanted to fit. I dont think spending £200 on another Scottoiler is justified, to my wife!!!

pittsy
pittsy's picture

Edgey999: ". I dont think spending £200 on another Scottoiler is justified, to my wife!!!"

But, by inference, no problem justifying it to yourself. A concept I am very familiar with. :-)

Captain Scarlet
Captain Scarlet's picture

I've never owned a Scottoiler, I just don't think they are worth the price. However whilst I was int he UK I always used Scottoil on the chain itself every 500 miles or so. I don't seem to be able to find that in the States and have been using various chain lubes, but most of them seem more like dirt-attracting grinding paste than lubrication. I think the Loobman idea is great if you can mount it in a way so as it doesn't look too awful. I thought it was interesting to hear of the woman using Olive Oil as a lubricant with it, who is on her original chain after 20,000 miles. The consistently of that is similar to Scottoil, presumably melts at similar temps and is readily available whenever you do the grocery shop! :-D

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

pittsy wrote:
Edgey999: ". I dont think spending £200 on another Scottoiler is justified, to my wife!!!"

But, by inference, no problem justifying it to yourself. A concept I am very familiar with. :-)

This is where I consider myself extremely lucky Sue is my wife my best mate and riding companion. being an enthusiast herself with 2 bikes she understands and even puts the bikes needs before those of the home. Not many guys can say that

edgey999
edgey999's picture

Rocker66 wrote:
pittsy wrote:

This is where I consider myself extremely lucky Sue is my wife my best mate and riding companion. being an enthusiast herself with 2 bikes she understands and even puts the bikes needs before those of the home. Not many guys can say that

My wife is quite similar, other than hating motorcycles, motorcyclists and anything related to motorcycles.

Rocker66
Rocker66's picture

Does this mean that your wife hates y No sorry I'm not going there :):)

roundincircles
roundincircles's picture

I have a Scottoiler electronic on a Multisrada. It's been there for 10,000 miles. It is infinitely adjustable from the control panel, let's you know the amount of oil in the reservoir and is unobtrusive.

It was expensive no doubt but does a job. Is it a job I could do........yes, no doubt. Is it a job I want to do.......well when I do I get chain grunge everywhere but on the chain and on my jacket sleeve so I rationalised why I needed one.

Nice to have or need to have. Your decision.

gunshot72
gunshot72's picture

pittsy wrote:
Does the NC have an electrical socket?

Not as standard but Honda do one for this bike yes. Not cheap though. In fact I'm sure there is a single harness system that allows the connection of the 12v socket, heated grips and satnav connector simultaneously. You have to buy the harness even if you are fitting just one of these items, so might as well have all three!