vfr1200 dct

5 replies [Last post]
leighton

I went for a test ride on a vfr1200 dct today (its a 61 reg abs, non TC model), I loved the bike so much I've bought it.
The engine was so smooth and had plenty of grunt and sounded great.
It suits my riding style as I like to leave it in a higher gear and surf the torque.
The ergonomics were just right for me. I'm 5 feet 10 inches and the seat, pegs and handlebars all just felt right to me.
What really impressed me was how good the wind protection is. The bike had the additional honda touring screen and heated grips. There was no buffeting at all and despite the fact it was a cold damp day I was didnt feel any of the cold at all.
The fact it has shaft drive is great for me I hate adjusting and worrying about oiling my chain, and the mess I always get all over the back wheel and swing arm, I couldnt tell any difference from a chain in the way it drives. 8000 mike service intervals are a bonus too!
The honda panniers give it extra practicality, and I actually think the bike looks better with them on.
To cap it all off the bike was only 14 months old, still has 22 months warranty and honda roadside assistance included. The price, about half the price of a brand new one with panniers, dct and heated grips.
Ive read a lot of negative reviews about this bike but all I will say is for me and at this price it is just about perfect.
I collect it in 1 weeks time and I cant wait to ride it home.

leighton
Re: vfr1200 dct

Quick correction to the above. The bike was registered in february 2012 so its less than 12 months old. That means I still have 2 years and 1 month left on the 3 year honda happiness warranty and breakdown cover. For the price I paid (7995, less than a brand new speed triple) I really think it was a great deal.

kevash
kevash's picture

leighton wrote:
The price, about half the price of a brand new one with panniers, dct and heated grips.
Ive read a lot of negative reviews about this bike but all I will say is for me and at this price it is just about perfect.
I collect it in 1 weeks time and I cant wait to ride it home.

The negative reviews were in part Honda's own fault for hyping the bike to a ridiculous degree, such as telling us it was going to change motorcycling forever. In fact if anyone's doing that it's Honda's European rivals. But also it was very expensive, especially when more extensively equipped bikes were costing the same. Take those things out of the equation and you have a fine bike which is a bit heavy but extremely smooth and built to very high quality standards (and it's the quality which is partly responsible for the weight anyway, making even that a fair trade off). You've managed to get a practically new one for half price, which does show they're too costly in the first place, but as far as you're concerned you've scored a hell of a lot of very good motorcycle in a great deal! I've not ridden the most recent version yet but apparently the fuel economy is significantly better than the first models' too, dealing with another criticism.

I'm really interested to hear how you get on with it, in fact I'm thinking of borrowing one myself from Honda to see how well the engine management changes have worked.

leighton

Hi Kevin sorry if I didn't make it clear. This bike was registered in February 2012, but it is the 61 reg (non traction control) model.
That's part of the reason why I got such a good deal, a used/ex demo 2012 TC control model with dct gearbox, panniers, heated grips and touring screen would still be more than 10K.

Navy Boy

Leighton

It sounds as though you've scored yourself a cracking deal there. Let us all know how you get on as this is a bike that has generated much interest amongst the better-informed (Much of the ashonbikes forum members then) amongst us.

The big depreciation drop does, as Kev says, indicate that the bike costs too much new. Not that that's your problem. Quite the opposite in fact!

dogfm

How do you tell the difference between the 2010 & 2012 model just by lookiong at it? I just found a similar deal on a bike registered new on 1 Feb 2012 on a 61 plate but apparently the bike is a 2012 one .... it has an aftermarket seat which is too squishy for me- I will get an original one- thre is nothing to indicate it's the later model (it was a bit moist when I test rode it so couldn't test the acceleration in the lower gears too easily - I didn't want to try out the traction control in case it was the 2010 model ;)